Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's Been Too Long...

Sorry it has taken me so long to update.  Now that school has actually started, I've been quite busy...

I haven't been the biggest fan of getting up at 5 to catch a 6:00 bus, but it's the price you pay for public transportation.  Luckily, I only have to do it two days a week.  So far, it has been amazing, and well worth it.  We started by learning basic knife cuts and how to break down different cuts of meat.  I have personally filleted three fish, shucked a dozen oysters, "displaced" a live lobster, and broken down multiple chickens, a rabbit, duck, and basically a quarter of a cow.  That was just in the first two weeks.  Needless to say, we move pretty quickly.

Next, we moved on to the "Mother Sauces."  The basis for almost every other sauce that you can think of.  We used these sauces as the base for a handful of soups that we made, including Carrot Puree soup and Cream of Broccoli soup.  I'll make sure to update with those recipes later...

We have moved on to dry heat cooking methods, now.  My dad was pretty excited when I brought home sauteed chicken breast, flank steak, strip steak, and scallops the other day.  Yes, I get to bring home everything we cook :)

I'm also taking my first extra-curricular class is a couple of weeks.  It is about the origin of chocolate, and the guest speaker was a contestant on Top Chef: Just Desserts.  Pretty cool, I know...

Anyway, I promise it won't be another three months before I update.  Hope you all enjoy following my journey through culinary school!!

3 comments:

  1. Ok... I have to ask... What does "displace a lobster" mean????? Like... you had to kill it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a live lobster that I had to stick my knife through its head to make it go brain-dead. Apparently it is more humane than putting it in a pot of boiling water... The worst part was when the tail was still moving after I separated it from the body

    ReplyDelete