Friday, January 14, 2011

My Super-Duper-Uper-Schmuper Big Idea...

Obviously I've been watching way too much PBS, but I was thinking about what I would like to do in the culinary world after I graduate.  A big part of the direction I go will depend on the kind of externship I get.  I would absolutely LOVE to be able to have an externship with a media group.  I would like to experience all the different aspects of food media.  I know that I don't want to work in a restaurant.  I've toyed with the idea of eventually starting my own catering business.  And of course there is always the very far-off dream of a cookbook or something.  Anyway, my big idea just happens to be a possible concept for a cookbook.  I'm sure that my professors will kill me for this, but I actually enjoy trying to create interesting and surprisingly good dishes from what I have in the pantry.  I'm talking making due with canned goods.  You always hear about people using the freshest ingredients to make exquisite dishes.  Well, single moms can't really afford those kinds of luxuries. 

Anyway, back to the point.  It would be called, "Pantry Raid," and it would be comprised of recipes using ingredients that most people already have in their pantry.  I'm sure that there is something like this out there already, but I sure haven't seen it.  I'm rather tired of watching cooking shows, drooling over what is being made, to only realize that I would have to spend $30+ to buy the ingredients.  So, let me know if you think I have something here.  Below is the recipe for what I made of dinner last night, using your everyday pantry items.  I thought it was pretty tasty...

Chicken Enchilada Lasagna

1 1/2-2 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken (I deboned and skinned the chicken myself)
1 28 oz can Green Enchilada Sauce
6 Medium-Sized Flour Tortilla Shells
1 15 oz can Black Beans
8 oz Shredded Cheese (Cheddar or Monterey, whatever you have on hand)
1 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes with Chiles

I marinated the chicken in the enchilada sauce for a few hours in the fridge.  Then, I placed the chicken and sauce into a baking dish and baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  This will take longer depending on the size of the chicken pieces.  Just bake until chicken is cooked through.  Then, I shredded the chicken using two forks to pull the meat apart, placing it back in the sauce once finished.  In a greased, 9X13 pan, I placed two tortilla shells, then half of the chicken mixture, half of the black beans, tomatoes, and cheese.  Follow with another layer of tortilla shells and repeat.  Finish with a final layer of tortilla shells and sprinkle with a little more shredded cheese.  Raise the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 15 minutes or so to melt the cheese.

*While this was really good, another idea would be to use tortilla chips instead of the shells.  I crushed some chips on my plate anyway, and the crunch was really nice.  I also had sour cream and guacamole for toppings.  Enjoy and I would love your comments :)

3 comments:

  1. I think the name "Pantry Raid" is super cute! Anyway~ I LOVE the idea of being able to whip something up with what I have instead of having to spend a ton for one single recipe. I love having the fresh stuff when I can, but as you said, sometimes it's just not that easy....
    I can't tell you how many "leftovers" I get from buying things for certain recipes... For example, I'll buy all the stuff I need to make chili and then have an extra can or two of beans or tomatoes that will just SIT in my pantry because I can't think of any way to use them! LOL!! And it goes that way for every recipe that I make... an extra thing of corn, or beans... salsa... or whatever... Just sitting there! Anyway~ Great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda :) I appreciate the feedback. I don't know how your kids are, but I am blessed with a not-so-picky eater. No matter what I make, she has to take a "thank you" bite. That helps a little when it comes to throwing something together...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe sounds good... I think I may try that! And I like the name "Pantry Raid" too... I can so relate to not being able to afford the fancy schmancy ingredients many recipes call for... so something like this would sure be a huge help! Not only to me, but to many, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete